Mergers in the Food Industry:
Who owns organic/natural foods companies?
Updated June 16, 2004
- Celestial Seasonings®, Hain Pure Foods®, Westbrae Natural®, Westsoy®, Arrowhead Mills®, Health Valley®, Imagine Foods (Rice Dream), Breadshop’s®, Casbah®, Garden of Eatin’®, Terra Chips®, Yves Veggie Cuisine®, DeBoles®, Earth’s Best®, Nile Spice® and (as of June 2004) Jason Natural Cosmetics are all owned by the Hain Celestial Food Group.
- H.J. Heinz Co. owns about 20% of Hain.
- Cascadian Farms (organic fruits, vegetables and entrees) and Muir Glen are owned by Small Planet Foods, which is owned by General Mills. General Mills is being boycotted for supporting circuses.
- Odwalla Juice and Fresh Samantha (juice) are owned by Coca-Cola.
- Coca-Cola prohibits unionizing: WASHINGTON, Nov. 19 /PRNewswire — Edgar Paez, of the Colombian trade union Sinaltrainal, was joined on Monday by Teamster representatives, the AFL- CIO, members of the clergy, civil rights activists and political leaders as he described the brutal torture, kidnapping and murders of union workers in his country — particularly those working at Coca-Cola bottling facilities. The group assembled for a peace vigil in front of the World of Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta, GA. “My brothers and sisters in Colombia have suffered unspeakable horrors because they belong to a trade union,” Paez said. “We stand united with American workers to demand that Coca-Cola stop the violence.”
- Coca-Cola paid $192.5 million to settle a U.S. racial discrimination lawsuit in 2000.
- Boca Burgers is are owned by Kraft Foods, which is owned by Philip Morris. Most Boca products use GMO soy. Some products are “made with organic soy” but because they are not 100% organic they may still contain GMOs.
- Morningstar Farms is owned by Kellogg. Morningstar products use GMOs.
- Natural Touch is now Morningstar Farms’ Natural Touch products are “made with organic soy” and other organic ingredients but because they are not 100% organic they may still contain GMOs.
- Kashi is owned by Kellogg.
- White Wave was purchased by dairy giant Dean Foods in May 2002. White Wave makes organic soy products like Silk soy drink, tofu and tempeh.
- Horizon Organic (dairy) is also now owned by Dean Foods.
- Arrowhead Water and Poland Spring Water are owned by Nestle, which is being boycotted < font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">because its “breast milk substitute” causes the deaths of millions of babies.
- Seeds of Change is owned by M&M Mars Candy.
- Lightlife (soy foods) is owned by ConAgra, one of the largest if not the largest food company in the United States.
- Knudsen, After the Fall and Santa Cruz Organics are owned by Smuckers.
(Additional info at the OCA website.)